I love Sweet September - the end of summer, the beginning of autumn. Here are a few reasons I love this new month:
- New schedules, starting over.
- Cooler weather is so much more comfortable after summer's heat & humidity. No hiding in the air conditioned house.
- Leaves will soon change from green to rustic tones!
- Jeans and sweaters for warmth and comfort.
- Socks again! and boots! and sweatshirts!
- Pumpkin begins to sound good in lattes, pies and bars - with cream cheese frosting (but not in M & M's)
- Buckeyes and acorns drop and become natural treasures to discover and collect.
- One or two extra blankets make going to bed much cozier.
- Asters, Chrysanthemums and sunflowers get their day to emblazon gardens.
- Jewel tones of the season delight the eyes; orange, rust, deep purple, gold and scarlet.
- Snuggling while falling asleep is comfortable again. (No touching when sweating!!!)
- Savory soups are delicious. I find myself in the kitchen more often.
- Football is back! Go Hawkeyes! (That's one from my family...)
- Kids and dads are throwing footballs back and forth.
- Students walk by our house on the way to and from school.
- The cross-country teams run by our house. Brian always comments on the leaders and the stragglers.
- I get back to my personal schedule of up early, retrieve the coffee, settle in for a quiet hour and then time with the walking girls! Feels so secure :)
- Settling in with a new Bible study centers and encourages me.
- Remembering the goodbyes of September lets me savor the sadness and joys of kids growing up and moving out.
- Am I in the September of my life? Perhaps I am.
Look to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always.
Remember the wonders he has done. (Psalm 105:4-5)
What do YOU love about September?