In the aftermath of the untimely death of this dear young woman, many are drowning in deep sorrow. Sadness, grief and unbelief scream out. "How can this be? Where were you, God? Why? She is gone. What is going to happen now? What about her children? Her husband? Her sisters? Her family?"
I also turn away in despair.
In my turning, I hear him answer. He has listened to our cries. He has spoken through the years to broken and devastated people. These words were for them. They are for us as well:
- Comfort, comfort my people, says your God.
- I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving- kindness.
- I will never leave you or forsake you...
- I know the plans I have for you...
- I am the way and the truth and the life...
- I go to prepare a place for you...
- In this world you will have trouble. But take heart. I have overcome the world.
I turn around to face him and with the psalmist I cry out:
- I love the LORD, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy. Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live.
- May your unfailing love be my comfort...
- God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble...therefore we will not fear.
- The LORD is close to the brokenhearted...
- And finally, "I will praise you, O LORD...you have comforted me.
He comforts and rescues. He is acquainted with grief, understanding and weeping with us in the brokenness of our world, ravaged by sin.
Beautiful, vivacious Jenny has died. We grieve, raw and confused.
But...we cling to hope.
Instead of accusing, I choose to rest in Him and his amazing work on the cross. He has spoken. He is with us. He is God. I bow down in trust and peace.
Jesus spoke: Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.
Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him."
May we all find comfort in God's mighty grace on this terrible day.
Isaiah 40:1, Jeremiah 31:3, Joshua 1:5, Jeremiah 29:11, John 14:6, John 14:2, John 16:33, Psalm 119:37, Psalm 46:1, Psalm 34:18, Isaiah 12:1-3, John 14:1, Lamentations 3:21-24